Tired of handbook information entry and cleanup in your CRM? Don’t have time to observe up with all of your leads? Want to get extra constructive opinions on-line? Workflows will help with these and far, rather more.
This information will provide help to perceive why it’s good to be utilizing workflows and how one can set them up for one of the best outcomes. We additionally reached out to the HubSpot neighborhood to provide you an inventory of HubSpot workflow examples from specialists, which you should utilize on your personal enterprise.
First although: what are workflows, what do they do?
Skip to a piece:
- What is a HubSpot workflow?
- Types of HubSpot workflows
- Should You Use a Workflow or a Sequence?
- How to create workflows in HubSpot
- Reviewing the analytics of your workflows
- HubSpot workflow examples, chosen by experts
What is a HubSpot workflow?
A HubSpot workflow is a device inside HubSpot that permits you to automate elements of your advertising, gross sales, and customer support efforts.
Each workflow is made up of triggers that begin them, adopted by actions that they mechanically carry out.
By automating repetitive duties, HubSpot workflows unlock worthwhile time, permitting your staff to give attention to extra vital duties, akin to constructing relationships and shutting offers.
HubSpot workflows carry a number of incredible advantages to companies, past simply time-saving automation. With their assist, you’ll be able to develop scalable processes that constantly execute duties and ship customized content material.
Additionally, workflows enhance lead nurturing, process automation, teamwork, and efficiency monitoring. This empowers your small business to harmonize advertising, gross sales, and customer support efforts, leading to heightened effectivity and extra dependable outcomes.
Types of HubSpot Workflows
The whole variety of HubSpot workflows grows fairly commonly, providing extra choices with every replace. HubSpot provides extra workflow choices than you see right here, however these are a number of the predominant varieties you’ll work with. Bear in thoughts, their availability is determined by your HubSpot subscription.
- Contact-based workflows: These workflows are triggered by actions or properties associated to particular person contacts. They are usually used for lead nurturing, e-mail advertising, or updating contact properties.
- Company-based workflows: These workflows give attention to actions or properties related to corporations. They can be utilized for updating firm properties, assigning duties to gross sales reps, or sending notifications about company-related occasions.
- Deal-based workflows: Deal-based workflows are triggered by actions or properties associated to offers. They will help automate deal administration, akin to updating deal phases, assigning duties, or sending notifications to staff members about deal progress.
- Ticket-based workflows: Available with Service Hub Pro or Enterprise, these workflows are designed to handle and automate customer support processes associated to help tickets.
- Quote-based workflows: Exclusive to Sales Hub Pro or Enterprise customers, quote-based workflows assist automate actions associated to quotes, akin to updating quote properties, sending notifications, or assigning duties.
- Conversation-based workflows: These workflows are designed to automate processes associated to buyer conversations throughout completely different channels like chat and e-mail. They will help handle and route incoming messages, set off automated responses, or assign duties to staff members primarily based on particular dialog standards.
- Feedback-submission primarily based workflows: Available with Service Hub Pro or Enterprise, these workflows are triggered by buyer suggestions submissions, akin to survey responses or NPS scores. They can be utilized to ship follow-up emails, create duties for staff members, or replace contact properties primarily based on the suggestions obtained.
- Subscription-based workflows: These workflows are designed to handle and automate actions associated to buyer subscriptions, akin to onboarding new subscribers, sending renewal reminders, or updating contact properties primarily based on subscription standing. These workflows can be found to Pro-level subscribers.
- Payment-based workflows: Payment-based workflows assist handle and automate actions associated to buyer funds, akin to sending fee reminders, updating contact properties, or triggering follow-up emails after a profitable fee. These workflows can streamline fee processing and enhance buyer communication round billing.
- Goal-based workflows: Goal-based workflows are designed to drive particular targets, akin to nurturing leads in direction of a conversion or participating with prospects to encourage repeat purchases. These workflows usually embrace a mixture of enrollment triggers, actions, and situations that align with the specified purpose. By monitoring and measuring the progress in direction of the purpose, you’ll be able to optimize and refine the workflow to enhance its effectiveness.
- Custom object-based workflows: Exclusive to HubSpot Enterprise customers, these workflows mean you can automate processes involving customized objects that you’ve got created inside your account. Custom object workflows allow you to tailor your automation to particular enterprise wants and distinctive information buildings, streamlining operations, and enhancing communication associated to your customized objects.
Should You Use a Workflow or a Sequence?
Workflows and sequences are each highly effective automation instruments inside HubSpot, however let’s be sure to perceive the variations between them and when to make use of each. We created a breakdown of HubSpot sequences vs. workflows in our post dedicated to sequences, but here’s the recap:
- Sequences are primarily used for one-to-one, personalized sales outreach. They are designed to automate a series of follow-up emails and tasks, helping sales teams nurture leads and maintain a consistent, targeted communication strategy. Sequences are best suited for manual enrollment, and they allow sales representatives to personalize individual emails before sending them.
- Workflows, on the other hand, are designed for more complex, multi-step automation processes. They can be triggered by various events, such as form submissions or property updates, and can include actions like sending emails, updating properties, or assigning tasks.
How to Create Workflows in HubSpot:
Let’s go over are some of the high-level steps for creating a HubSpot workflow. For more detailed instructions, watch the section of our HubSpot Hacks tutorial video that covers creating workflows in HubSpot.
1. Select your workflow kind
Choose the kind of workflow you wish to create primarily based on the thing that triggers the workflow, akin to contact-based, company-based, deal-based, or customized object-based workflows. This choice determines the choices and actions obtainable inside the workflow.
2. Choose a template or begin from scratch
HubSpot provides pre-built workflow templates that can assist you get began shortly or the choice to create a workflow from scratch for full customization. Choose the one which most closely fits your wants. Once you’ve moved to the following web page, give your workflow a reputation and outline so that you and staff members can simply examine what the workflow is for.
3. Set your enrollment set off(s)
Enrollment triggers decide when a contact, firm, or deal is added to the workflow. Examples embrace kind submissions, property updates, or particular occasions. If you’ve gotten Operations Hub Pro or Enterprise, you’ll be able to even set recurring workflows that set off on a schedule. Choose the suitable set off(s) primarily based in your targets and desired person expertise.
4. Set your actions
Actions are the duties that happen inside the workflow, akin to sending emails, updating properties, or assigning duties. Determine which actions are essential for attaining your targets and add them within the desired sequence.
5. Adjust your settings
Customize the settings of your workflow, akin to re-enrollment choices, suppression lists, or limiting workflow execution to particular days or instances. These changes assist guarantee your workflow runs easily and aligns together with your general technique.
6. Test your workflow
Using the “test” characteristic, you’ll be able to choose a contact in your system, and also you’ll have the ability to see which steps that contact would have hit. Don’t fear: this gained’t really ship these emails to the contact. You may even examine the field to have HubSpot ship you the emails the contact would have gotten (unexpectedly, no matter delays you’ve set), so you’ll be able to view what that alternate would appear to be from the contact’s perspective.
7. Enable your workflow
Once your workflow is about up and examined, click on the “Review and publish” button to activate it. The assessment web page may even provide the likelihood to retroactively add contacts who already qualify to enter that workflow.
Heads up! There’s a purpose it says “Review and publish.” Workflow errors could be a enormous ache, particularly once they occur at scale. Check that last assessment web page fastidiously, and be sure to assessment the workflow settings, triggers, and actions earlier than hitting that last “Turn on” button.
After activation, the workflow will start processing the enrolled contacts, corporations, or offers in keeping with the outlined actions and settings.
Reviewing Your Workflow’s Performance: Analytics
Congrats, you’ve launched your workflow! So how do you measure its outcomes? HubSpot gives loads of metrics that can assist you consider your workflows’ efficiency. Consider keeping track of a few of these analytics:
1. Evaluating engagement charges
By monitoring e-mail open and click-through charges inside your workflow, you’ll be able to determine which emails are producing the specified engagement and which of them want optimization. Analyzing these metrics helps you fine-tune your e-mail content material and topic traces to enhance general engagement.
2. Assessing purpose completion
If you have set a purpose on your workflow, akin to kind submissions or deal closures, reviewing the purpose completion fee will present how successfully your workflow is driving the specified outcomes. Low purpose completion charges point out a necessity for changes in your workflow steps, or actions to raised align together with your targets.
3. Identifying bottlenecks and drop-offs
Your analytics will help you notice areas the place contacts could also be dropping off or not progressing by the workflow as meant. This info will be helpful in figuring out bottlenecks, akin to an motion that is not participating sufficient or a situation that is too restrictive. Now you’ll be able to extra simply make modifications to enhance the workflow’s effectiveness.
4. Comparing workflow efficiency
By evaluating the efficiency metrics of a number of workflows, you’ll be able to determine greatest practices or areas for enchancment. This will help you determine which workflows are simplest in driving desired outcomes, akin to lead technology, buyer retention, or upselling alternatives.
HubSpot Workflow Examples: The Best HubSpot Workflows Chosen by Experts
HubSpot workflows supply almost limitless alternatives for automation throughout your advertising, gross sales, and customer support efforts. But with all the prospects, it’s not at all times straightforward to know precisely what’s doable or the place you must prioritize your workflow-building efforts.
That’s why we reached out to the HubSpot neighborhood to find out about their favourite HubSpot workflows. From easy process automation to some tips we’ve by no means considered, we now have fairly the checklist.
Below are a wide range of greatest HubSpot workflows entrepreneurs use in their very own corporations or for purchasers. Feel free to touch upon the article and add your individual!
1) Copy firm fields to the contacts
A easy favourite from our staff at Simple Strat!
When a brand new firm will get added to HubSpot, fields like their business usually get up to date mechanically. We have a workflow set as much as copy this info over to the contact file for straightforward reference and view-creation.
Cara Wood, Digital Marketing Manager, ShopPad
I work in a B2B enterprise (ShopPad) and we discover that our cross-sell workflow is very efficient. Essentially, when a buyer installs one in every of our apps, we ship a workflow following our welcome workflow educating them on what one other one in every of our apps does after which promoting them on it. These workflows carry out effectively. One of them has accounted for 1550+ installs of 1 our apps this 12 months.
3) Recording suggestions and gathering case research
Datis Mohsenipour, Director of Marketing, Outback Team Building & Training
We supply staff constructing & coaching providers to companies trying to host an exercise or coaching session in North America. We commonly gather suggestions by the use of Net Promoter Score the day after an exercise or occasion has been accomplished.
We will ship an automatic e-mail to the one that bought our providers asking them to fee our providers on a scale of 0-10. We have every score listed inside the e-mail as hyperlink to the suggestions kind. They all level to the identical kind, nevertheless, every hyperlink has parameters appended to the URL which can pre-populate the shape with the score they chose.
If the individual clicks on the score however doesn’t fill out the remainder of the shape, we’ve bought workflows in place (primarily based off the hyperlink within the e-mail) that mechanically populate their NPS score right into a area inside the contact. This permits us to gather scores, no matter whether or not or not somebody has crammed the shape.
If they didn’t open or click on the e-mail, we’ll ship a follow-up two days later.
In that very same suggestions kind, we ask if candidates are keen to speak about being featured in a case research. If they examine, “yes”, then we now have an automatic workflow set as much as notify our copywriters of shoppers keen to be featured in a case research. Our copywriters will attain out accordingly.
4) Product training workflow
Anand Iyer, Digital Marketer
Setting up a “Product Education” workflow that triggers after a product inquiry is a incredible method to construct belief and preserve your organization prime of thoughts. You can construct an automatic lesson plan by sending video hyperlinks, product flyers, webinar recordings, and implement a curriculum-style lead nurturing technique.
5) Segment advertising leads vs leads entered by gross sales
Sarah Hall, Digital Marketing Manager, Qwinix Technologies
Hubspot doesn’t naturally phase gross sales leads vs opted-in advertising leads. When your gross sales staff makes use of the Hubspot e-mail integration to herald leads, this will get messy. I at all times create a customized toggle property for “marketing opted-in” and guarantee it is triggered with advert campaigns and kind submissions. This tackles group and compliance proper off the bat. It is my major customized property when segmenting lists and analyzing metrics too.
6) Managing growing old offers
Kristopher Crocket, President & CEO, Selworthy
We use two workflows that I believe everybody ought to use:
- Deal previous closed date — if a deal continues to be open and previous the closed date, it creates a process to look into the deal.
- Stale deal — if there was no exercise on a deal in X quantity of days, it creates a process to observe up with the contact.
7) Assigning and updating advertising certified leads
Damien Elsing, Founder, CLCK Digital
Create a workflow to assign a contact proprietor when a contact passes a sure threshold (lead rating or late stage conversion), then set a process for the proprietor to observe up with the lead, and alter lifecycle stage to MQL.
8) Content Redelivery
Allison Hott, Content Marketer, Blog Tyrant
One of my favourite HubSpot workflows to arrange is to redeliver content material to subscribers that have not seen it but. For instance, for those who e-mail your subscribers a downloadable PDF information and a few of them do not obtain it after every week or so, you’ll be able to mechanically resend the content material with a new topic line and new language round it. A workflow like this helps you promote your content material extra successfully and helps to make sure as lots of your subscribers see it as doable.
9) Managing location information
Andrew Erickson, Partner, Alaniz Marketing
Copy the Country IP and State IP fields to the Country and State fields in the event that they’re empty.
10) Nurturing with worthwhile content material + reductions
Adam Hempenstall, CEO & Founder, Better Proposals
- Create a lead seize popup that gives guests a free course in our Proposal writing college.
- Add them to our mailing checklist and ship them our Most worthy content material as soon as per week.
- Offer them reductions in the event that they join one in every of our plans by e-mail.
- If they go go to our touchdown pages and don’t convert, ship them just a few extra emails.
- When they convert, transfer them to our paying prospects e-newsletter.
11) MQL nurturing
Mark Whitlock, Marketing Manager, Golden Spiral
B2B entrepreneurs ought to take into account constructing a workflow for Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs). We developed one that features 8 emails despatched out over a 10-week interval. It delivered sturdy open charges for us and generated 2 Sales Qualified Leads for us proper off the bat. We’re always refining the workflow and strategy.
12) Ensuring compliance with information privateness legal guidelines
Allen Montellano, Marketing Automation Specialist, Appetiser Apps
If you do not have a welcome marketing campaign but that includes at the least one e-mail that enables your subscribers to handle their subscription preferences, then it is one thing it’s good to have a look at as extra nations have gotten extra strict about information safety and privateness insurance policies.
13) Round robin workflows
Alexis Eaglin, HubSpot Specialist and Certified Trainer, Simple Strat
HubSpot’s spherical robin workflow can be utilized to evenly distribute leads or duties throughout customers. In a deal workflow as an illustration, you’ll be able to rotate deal possession to equally distribute leads or offers to your gross sales staff. This helps to maintain folks from being overworked or receiving unfair benefits for sure deal assignments. Round robin workflows will be particularly useful for giant groups, or groups with a number of breakdown between territories or areas.
Bonus: Creating a Ticket Automatically Every Time a Deal Closes
Automatically creating tickets when offers shut are excellent for groups who’ve an onboarding course of they should deploy as soon as a sale is closed. This is out there in case you have each Marketing Hub Professional and Service Hub Professional. Check out our HubSpot Hacks video to see the way it’s completed.
What’s your favourite HubSpot workflow?
Let us know within the feedback under and we simply might add it to the checklist!